Tuesday, February 16, 2010

the perks of teaching adolescents


I am doing a color theory project in my class, kinda Andy Warhol-esque. My little girl was drawing a cartoon lion for her subject. I had to keep a straight face as I told her that I did not think that drawing testicles on it would be school-appropriate.

Furthermore, I was enchanted by the presence of a lovely child who decided the best way to express himself in my class was to flip me the bird.

Then one of my students drew a mustache using dry erase marker on my laminated print of the Mona Lisa. Thank God that has already been done and I could turn it into a teachable moment.

I have to say, of all of the professions I could have chosen... few may involve so much creative precision in dealing with the eccentricities of children. I love it. I hate it. At least it gives me something to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment